HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Good bars in the area?
Posted by: mhkellyxx ()
Date: March 21, 2005 10:27PM

Any exceptional bars in the area? Like not just a place to drink but a place with live music too. I know Red Rocks in Centreville and that place on university drive and main st in fairfax city. Are there any others that I'm missing out on? Thanks.
-kelly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good bars in the area?
Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: March 21, 2005 10:47PM

Hmm what kind of music, rock?

Posted by: ben ()
Date: March 21, 2005 11:26PM

Okay, I've never been to Ned Devines (Main & Chain Bridge in Olde Towne FFX). Is that what you were referring to? I don't know of any bars on Main & University.

There's Bridges on Main in the Mosby building, they usually have live EDM DJs. I've only been there twice, once to support a friend of mine (Cryo) who was spinning and another to get trashed.

Fast Eddies is a very chill pool hall off 29. They had some live rock band (I think) going on when I was there this past Friday.

There are a ton of other places.. Shadetree, O'Tooles, Clocktower..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2005 11:26PM by ben.

Date: March 22, 2005 10:24AM

The place @ University and Main is probably supposed to be TT's (aka TT Reynolds). Otherwise I'm not really much help on the bar scene as I don't really go to bars anymore.

Posted by: CableDawg ()
Date: March 22, 2005 03:32PM

TTs is probably your best bet for live music, they have lots of shows with some fairly large local bands like Welbilt and Sev. Other bars in the area are Ned Devine's (argulably the most popular amongst Mason people), Firehouse Grill, Il Lupo's, Buffalo Wing University (39 cent wings on tuesday, happy hour all drafts 12oz $2, 23oz. $3. 24 beers on tap from natty to guiness and some attractive waitresses (a couple jailbaits too)), John's Place, Thursdays, PJ Skidoo's, and Bridge's

Posted by: somegirl ()
Date: March 22, 2005 05:48PM

Fat Tuesdays, at University Mall (123 & Braddock rd)
Kate's Irish Pub - Springfield

Posted by: mhkellyxx ()
Date: March 23, 2005 05:49PM

Wow, lots of cool places I haven't checked out yet! The place I was talking about on university and main is Firehouse Grill, but I've been to Ned Devines right around the corner which is pretty cool too. Thanks for your input you guys. Anyone have a personal favorite? -kelly

Posted by: CableDawg ()
Date: March 23, 2005 05:55PM

Ah yes, like somegirl mentioned, Fat Tuesdays at University Mall has live music a lot and their food is pretty tasty as well. You might also want to try Kilroy's at Braddock and 495, they have music in the bar as well.

Posted by: A'rn ()
Date: March 25, 2005 12:59AM

CarPool in Herndon is okay, but be warned - if you're a Herndon High School graduate, it's like a fucking 5-year-reunion except that you only see all the people who never did anything with their lives. Let's play "spot the failure..."

Date: March 25, 2005 01:00AM

You know, there's great irony in the fact that I posted what I wrote about CarPool...and yet I hang out there every once and a while. Ah well.

Also, like everywhere else in the "Greater Metropolitan DC area," the drinks are pricey.

Posted by: dlee ()
Date: March 29, 2005 11:07AM

Jammin Java in Vienna has a lot of live shows. Though it's more of a coffee/food place, they do sell beer.

Posted by: ANdrew ()
Date: March 31, 2005 12:50AM

You have to check out old town - Murphys, Southside, Chadwicks, tiffanys, the list goes on and on.

Posted by: rtcpenguin ()
Date: April 06, 2005 10:54PM

'nother vote for TT's. Chill bartenders, good acts (Welbilt), and good drinks.

Date: April 08, 2005 01:40AM

The Firehouse Grill (behind GMU, in Fairfax) is bearable only on nights when it's not clogged with fratties and sorostitutes.

Date: April 08, 2005 04:46PM

Is Firehouse around the corner from TT's in Old Town Fairfax?

Posted by: Cary ()
Date: April 08, 2005 05:57PM

Yeah it's at the corner of University and Main St (west). I can see it if i stick my head out the window of my office.

Posted by: rstidman ()
Date: April 08, 2005 11:11PM

used to be "crossroads" and before that had some other name, a band I was in would jam there back when it was whatever it was b4 crossroads... totally spacing on the name...

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: April 14, 2005 06:33PM

If you want good beer I'd suggest Old Dominion Brewpub in Ashburn off of Waxpool Road and Rock Bottom Brewery in Ballston Commons. The former is far better as it's the Old Dominion we all know and love from being here, but Rock Bottom is open far later and isn't off freaking Route 28.

As for other places, I prefer bars that aren't even bars. I like dives. Fat Tuesday's in University Mall in Fairfax is the epitome of that when the damn college kids aren't there. They have live music some nights as well.

Posted by: Randy ()
Date: April 19, 2005 11:26AM

Any recomendations for bars in the Fairfax Circle area? Been here for about three months and haven't seen anything interesting yet.

Date: April 19, 2005 11:56AM

Fasteddies is right there--near Artie's...

Not too far from all the crap in Fairfax City either.

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: April 19, 2005 01:13PM

everybody says fast eddies but i always see busted bitches over there

Date: April 19, 2005 01:16PM

cant help you there...maybe youre there on the wrong nights?

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: April 19, 2005 03:37PM

possibly, what are the best nights with the best tail?

Date: April 19, 2005 05:31PM

Mondays. Definitely Mondays.

That's when all the hot chicks from JMU show up.

Posted by: n_none ()
Date: April 21, 2005 01:32AM

PJ Skidoos has live music on Thursdays. Dr. Dremos in Arlington has good music most of the week as does Galaxy Hut. Ned Divines, Fat Tuesdays, TT's, Firehouse are ok, but get kinda crowded on weekends.
As for the Fairfax Circle area, Fast Eddies isn't bad.

Posted by: asdf ()
Date: May 11, 2005 02:17PM

Greveys off of gallows

Posted by: SWweeman ()
Date: May 21, 2005 11:37AM

mhkellyxx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any exceptional bars in the area? Like not just a
> place to drink but a place with live music too. I
> know Red Rocks in Centreville and that place on
> university drive and main st in fairfax city. Are
> there any others that I'm missing out on?
> Thanks.
> -kelly

Jaxx in Springfield has live bands every night and usually plays 80's rock bands that are still on tour. Look in the Wash Post. It's at rolling and old keene mill. I think Bungaloo Billiards in Manchester (near Hayfield) has bands I believe. THere is a blues bar in kingstowne shopping center I believe. Look in the Friday edition of the Post, good source for all the bars and bands.

Posted by: Wildwest41 ()
Date: June 01, 2010 12:10PM

Sunset Grille in Annandale - ROCKS! Looks like a Dive bar, great Rock and Roll bands - AWESOME Food, GREAT Bands - go to website for who plays when! Great people and regulars that have been going for YEARS!

Posted by: Johnny Walker ()
Date: June 01, 2010 12:23PM

Sunset's kind of a biker place, isn't it?

Posted by: Brandon ()
Date: June 01, 2010 04:15PM

Sunset grill looks more like a weekend warrior type place. You see old people in there all the time as well. I walk by it all the time and see middle aged woman trying to act cool and dancing like they've been set on fire.

Posted by: randy rhoads ()
Date: June 04, 2010 03:38AM

Brandon i'm old fart who's been to Sunset/ananadale Grill occasionally. yes its for old farts who like to listen to that sadly dead music called rock and roll

and its a 5 year post but nowadays jaxx is on deathwatch apparently the metalheads abandoned the club and they can hardly keep their doors open anymore

brandon loved your line about middle aged women trying to act cool and dancing like they've been set on fire

i'm going to use that line funny

Posted by: sCary ()
Date: June 04, 2010 02:07PM

Regarding bars around ffx circle, best bet is to take the Vienna metro to Ballston/Claredon.

Ffx bars suck IMO. I wouldn't risk driving after having a few in ffx county either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 02:08PM by sCary.

Posted by: ernie ()
Date: June 04, 2010 02:21PM

How about Jimmy's in Herndon. It is as close to a Cheers bar you will find.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.