HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FFX CTY Students Not Required to Take SOLs
Posted by: NO SOLs ()
Date: May 06, 2015 02:13PM

A little known fact...but FCPS parents may refuse to include their student(s) in the SOL testing. It's actually a pretty simple process and one that really should be advertised. The form is available from your school principal. It doesn't appear to be on the FCPS web page though.

The student will receive a "zero" for each refused test but that will NOT impact their academic record or advancement to the next grade (I don't know what happens with the graduation requirement and HS SOLs).

The "zero" will be used in the calculation for No Child Left Behind and other VDOE accreditation calculations. I'm fine with this implication since I don't believe the SOLs actually provide a reasonable confirmation that my child has learned the material. IT only shows if he is a good standardized test taker (a skill that does not in the least prepare you for adulthood!).

I've cut and pasted the words from the form below.

Office of Student Testing
November 2014
Documentation of Parental Refusal to Participate in the Virginia Standards of Learning Assessment
All students enrolled in Virginia public schools are expected to take the applicable state tests. This is documented in the Virginia Standards of Accreditation, Virginia Board of Education Regulations Establishing Standards for Accrediting Public Schools in Virginia, available online at www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/accreditation/soa.doc.
Student Name: ______________________________________ Grade: ____ FCPS ID #: _______________
School Name: _________________________________________ STI #: ____________________________
Specific test(s) the parents/student are refusing: _________________________________________________
Does this student have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) _____ (Y/N) 504 Plan _____ (Y/N)
Limited English Proficiency Student Assessment Participation Plan (LSAPP) _____ (Y/N)
Schools must ensure that parents are fully informed of the consequences of refusing to participate. Parents acknowledge notification by initialing each of the points below.
The student will receive a score of “0” for each refused test(s), and the student’s score report and academic record will reflect the score of “0”.
Parent(s) initials ______/_______
While this student will not participate in Standards of Learning (SOL) testing, the school’s delivery of content and instruction will not change due to this decision. Academic expectations will remain the same.
Schools will not have the benefit of being able to analyze student performance on the SOL’s which provides detailed information about the student’s mastery of content.
The student’s score of “0” will be used when Virginia Department of Education calculates the school and division pass rates for the purposes of state and federal accountability (School Accreditation and No Child Left Behind).
Principal Signature: _________________________________ Date: _________________________
Parent Signature: ___________________________________ Date: _________________________
Parent Signature: ___________________________________ Date: _________________________
Reviewed by:
School Test Coordinator: _____________________________ Date: _________________________

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FFX CTY Students Not Required to Take SOLs
Posted by: Questioning Parent ()
Date: May 06, 2015 03:54PM

I am a parent who does know about the "opt-out" option for SOLs. My child is not in high school and I, too, am not aware of how this decision would weight for those graduating.

However, I have not been able to come up with any reason why I would not have my child take the SOLs. Apparently, they will retest if they score within a certain failure range (375-399 points from what I've been told).

I would like to hear from any parents/students who have opted out and the reasoning behind this decision. I remember a recent news blurb about a child in PA who was reprimanded for sharing with her classmates that not taking their standardized tests was one of their student rights.

Posted by: Information should be shared ()
Date: May 06, 2015 05:09PM

I am a parent who was not aware that my child could opt out. Thank you for sharing this and shame on FCPS for not making this known to all parents.

Posted by: 44444444 ()
Date: May 06, 2015 05:25PM

you can opt out except in high school you have to pass certain ones to graduate. The only reason I would opt out is if my kids was really freaking out. otherwise just take it . Do not freak out if they do not pass , it may be a bad day or the test they are constantly making them harder is ridiculous. I would not get a tutor for it or study for it at home but if they fail it does give you an indication of what your kid may need to work on . A lot of kids fail because they are smart but do not have the maturity to slow down and really think of the answers.

Posted by: CobbdaleBob ()
Date: May 06, 2015 05:25PM

My kids graduated from FHS and they thought the SOL's were a waste of time and a joke.

Posted by: Drunk SAT test ()
Date: May 06, 2015 05:52PM

I took my high school SAT's drunk and got a 1600.
Standardized tests are bullshit.

Posted by: Opt out parent ()
Date: May 06, 2015 06:09PM

You asked for a reason to opt out. I ask for a reason why elementary or middle school students should take the SOL. It's not required to move to the next level and it provides zero meaningful feedback. So, why make your kid sit through it?

Posted by: Testing No! ()
Date: May 06, 2015 08:48PM

Thanks for the information. The only reason these tests are given to elementary and middle school students is for NCLB and evaluation of teachers and principals. There is no specific benefit to the child. It's all stupid school politics.

I'm going to talk to our principal and opt my children out. No reason to stress out my kids for absolutely no reason. They are told they need to pass or they need to retake. Ridiculous!

Evaluate teachers and principals like they did for years and years. Listen to feedback from the community and observe the teachers. I'm not going to allow them to use my kid to do their jobs!!

Posted by: Missing, but why? ()
Date: May 07, 2015 09:54AM

I looked for the form on the FCPS website and couldn't find it among these. Why? http://www.fcps.edu/forms.shtml

Posted by: FCPS Hidden Forms ()
Date: May 07, 2015 01:13PM

FCPS does not post the form because they do not want parents to know about the form. If parents knew they had an option regarding the SOLs, too many would opt out and then FCPS couldn't claim to be such a great school system. They might be forced to admit that they only teach to the SOL.

If you ask your school principal they are required to give you the form.

Posted by: Missing, but why? ()
Date: May 07, 2015 04:59PM

Omitting information that every parent has a right to know is inexcusable.

I think we should all bring this up to fellow parents at school functions, sports events, etc. I certainly plan to.

Standardized testing has been debated for a long time and if our children have the right to opt out, we have the right to be informed of that option.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.