HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The way to change society
Posted by: causeican ()
Date: July 02, 2016 08:27AM

The way to change society is to change the mind of it’s people. The way to do that is to teach them. When a young person goes to school (with our admonishment) and is taught what is “right and wrong”, they will follow. We put our children under the care of educators who teach them contrary to our beliefs. What our children are learning from the beginning of their life, is taught in the schools, in the media, in music, etc. They are what they learn. It is our fault.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The way to change society
Posted by: FrankR. ()
Date: July 02, 2016 08:58AM

What can we do? Pivot school is too expensive for most.

Posted by: Parenting is just too hard ()
Date: July 02, 2016 09:36AM

causeican Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The way to change society is to change the mind of
> it’s people. The way to do that is to teach
> them. When a young person goes to school (with
> our admonishment) and is taught what is “right
> and wrong”, they will follow. We put our
> children under the care of educators who teach
> them contrary to our beliefs. What our children
> are learning from the beginning of their life, is
> taught in the schools, in the media, in music,
> etc. They are what they learn. It is our fault.

Be a parent. Instill your values in your kids. Teach them to seek truth, not just be spoonfed. Talk to them about what they are learning and correct the bullshit. All my kids were/are straight A students (including college). They know how to play the game. But they also know bullshit dogma (e.g. global warming, white guilt) from what's real.

Posted by: causeican ()
Date: July 02, 2016 11:05AM

FrankR. Wrote:
> What can we do? Pivot school is too expensive for
> most.

idk. I just know we “make” our kids go to school and they teach them things I would strongly disagree with. More than that, things I would fight against. I’m learning from my mistakes.

Although I’ve been an active parent in my children’s education - involved in activities, etc., it wasn’t until it was too late that I realized the influence had set root in one of my children. It was middle school and, although I’m not sure, I believe it was civics class. The school was Lanier. My child came out hating America, hating being white and a devote atheist. All contrary to how she felt in the beginning of that school-year. What could I have done? I don’t know. Read the curriculum? Spoken to her about it to gauge what she was thinking? Yes, I could have/should have done that.

In middle school, children are not going to listen to a parent correct them about such things. They, more or less, will have to work out the right and wrong of it for themselves. Fortunately as she’s grown a few years older, my child is making more sense. It pays to listen to them and not lecture. Difficult for me, but possible with practice. We’re all growing until we die, I guess.

There is something else that sticks in my mind. In elementary school when I wanted to see what was going to be taught in “health” class - which was for 4th, 5th & 6th graders - I would have to make a request and set an appointment to view the video at the fcps admin office. That struck me as odd that it would not be accessible online. Unfortunately, I allowed the inconvenience of doing that prevent me from pursuing it. I wish I had pursued it. Not that I would have opted my child out of the class, but knowing what was taught in school would have allowed me to discuss it at home. At this age, the chances of my having an influence on my child is greater.

What can we do when our children are being taught things we don’t believe is right? It seems impossible to think we could make a difference in something which has permeated every aspect of our lives - our education system. All I know is our nation is what our children make of it and our children are a product of us - what we believe and what we do. We tell them it is right to go to school, to listen to their teacher and to do good work. When they are taught something wrong on every level, what do our children have inside of them to counter such lessons? In their young minds, “their whole world” believes what they are being taught. Math, English, Science, History are one thing, but Health? I think Health Class has overstayed it’s welcome.

The answer? (I’m just guessing - never having made a stand for anything) The answer must lie with us, as parents, and what we do. Will we flame a fire or let it die out? Do we have a passion for what we believe? If so, let’s not be afraid to share it. If we hear someone speaking something that rings true, we need to show our support by standing with them and speaking up too. We need to join together. The more that join a movement, the more power and influence they have.

Another component which just occurred to me is an ability to debate important, passionate issues. It would be good if our schools taught students how to argue in proper form. How good would it be for us, as Americans, to be able to listen to others and voice our objections without taking it or making it personal? We should learn to argue respectfully so that ideas can be brought to light and discussed. Nothing will change until we can talk about things.

Another crazy idea: perhaps we should be teaching students (boys, anyway) how to fist fight. Boys need to fight, not get offended and shoot.

Another one: there has to be a way to safeguard environments and let our children go off and play without us supervising everything.

Another aspect: We have to be able to live without being afraid of being sued.

Well, that’s my two cents. Thanks for asking.

Posted by: XtUv4 ()
Date: July 02, 2016 11:10AM

Parenting is just too hard Wrote:
> All my kids were/are straight A students (including college).
> They know how to play the game. But they also know bullshit
> dogma (e.g. global warming, white guilt) from what's real.

LOL! If your kids think that the wages of centuries worth pf racism along with all the accumulated evidence for global warming are just dogmatic bullshit, they are getting plenty of F's in any school at all. To put it simply, they are low-grade, dysfunctional dopes.

Meanwhile, parents are the biggest influences in a child's life through the age of about ten. But even before that, what Mom and Dad say and do are being judged against the standards they see and hear about from peers in the neighborhood, in school, at church or whatever, and in the media. If you aren't any more persuasive than those folks, you'll lose your influence earlier than most.

Past age ten or so, forget about it. Parents are nowhere near the top of the influence list. If you are lucky and did a god job when you had the chance, much of the core value sort of stuff that you tried to build will come back to your kids sometime in their 20's. That's the most you can hope for.

Posted by: Kookie ()
Date: July 02, 2016 11:23AM

XtUv4 Wrote:
>
> LOL! If your kids think that the wages of
> centuries worth pf racism along with all the
> accumulated evidence for global warming are just
> dogmatic bullshit, they are getting plenty of F's
> in any school at all. To put it simply, they are
> low-grade, dysfunctional dopes.
>
> Meanwhile, parents are the biggest influences in a
> child's life through the age of about ten. But
> even before that, what Mom and Dad say and do are
> being judged against the standards they see and
> hear about from peers in the neighborhood, in
> school, at church or whatever, and in the media.
> If you aren't any more persuasive than those
> folks, you'll lose your influence earlier than
> most.
>
> Past age ten or so, forget about it. Parents are
> nowhere near the top of the influence list. If
> you are lucky and did a god job when you had the
> chance, much of the core value sort of stuff that
> you tried to build will come back to your kids
> sometime in their 20's. That's the most you can
> hope for.

Attachments:
butthurt happy bunny.jpg

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: July 02, 2016 03:42PM

After many years of watching the public school system turn to mediocre shit, every student is an honor roll student, we sucked it up put our last kid into private school. It cost about as much as a car payment, and we had to drive him to school, and pick him up everyday. Here is what we learned. The teachers are about the same. In some cases, the public schools have better teacher's education wise. The real difference was the school polices, the class sizes, and dedication of the parents. Prayer was done everyday. Even though my son is not Catholic, he was always reminded that this activity was strictly voluntary, and to my knowledge, never pressured one way or the other. The school focused on SCHOOL. The class size was 19. He had the same group of students more or less from beginning thru 8th grade. It was and is a tight knit group. There were less fights in 8 years, then in one month at the local junior high public school. All of the parents were were involved in the school in a much more substantial way than my twenty plus years experience in the public school system. If anything was amiss, the teacher involved would email us within a day or two. They served beer and wine at after school events for the parents, and in 8 years there was never an unpleasant incident.(that took a little getting used to, but it was nice) Our son is now entering high school into the public system, as we have nothing close enough to do otherwise. He was tested and will be taking all ap classes. We'll see how it goes. But leave with this if nothing else. The school spent half of what the local public school spends per student, and in my opinion did twice the job. And yet every year your local school board ask for more money, and the student body falls further behind. Something to think about wouldn't you say?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.