HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FCPS Teachers Don't need a raise
Posted by: Shirley Nitka ()
Date: April 30, 2017 11:00PM

They already make more than most of us. They have benefits we do not. They don't work 8 hours a day. The teachers are last in, first out down here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCPS Teachers Don't need a raise
Posted by: grophusharris ()
Date: May 01, 2017 12:07AM

If you would set your sights higher than Icky-D's or Wally World, you'd get better bennies, too.

Still considering what the teachers have to p ut up with, the pay is piss poor. You go into a classroom and let's see how long you last. My money is not even to first lunch period.

Posted by: teacher 19 ()
Date: May 01, 2017 09:03AM

The county pays the plumbers and hvac guys more than us!

Posted by: Teacher Defender ()
Date: May 01, 2017 11:45AM

All I can say is that if you spent the amount of time that teachers do, with the quantity of students that they have in their classrooms, you would be one of the teachers looking to make more money! Every one of us would!

Students these days have little to no respect for the teachers, they disregard the rules and instructions, they physically assault one another and do stupid things that are distracting to the children that really want to learn! Their behavior is a direct reflection of their upbringing at home! That's right, home is where they learn this, not school!

Here's something else to ponder. If you had to pay as much for school, as you would have to for daycare, your taxes would increase by double overnight!

If you think that it's such a cakewalk to be a teacher, and especially if you think they make a lot of money, I encourage you to apply for a job as a teacher! On second thought, since you have an attitude, maybe you should continue to be a waste management employee!

Posted by: Ronnie Calhoun ()
Date: May 01, 2017 11:59AM

My sister's a teacher but she teaches in a very small area where she can afford to live on her salary. Teaching isn't as easy as it looks

Posted by: XTeach ()
Date: May 01, 2017 12:16PM

Teacher Defender Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Students these days have little to no respect for
> the teachers, they disregard the rules and
> instructions, they physically assault one another

You forgot the part about assaulting the teachers who aren't even permitted to defend themselves. If they do, they get in trouble, their careers are ruined or over and the student assailant walks.

Here are the two reasons I stopped teaching. I taught high school. It wasn't in this area.

1. Two students were in a fistfight in front of the school, on school grounds. Several students had gathered. I was the first teacher on the scene, so I had to do something. I got between the two as they had stepped back from each other. One student was both stepping back and cocking his arm to punch the other one. He let go just as I jumped between them and was extending my arms. He hit me square in the nose, I reeled then did what was natural, I hit back and sent him sprawling. By that time, the Vice Principal and PE Coach had shown up and they got hold of the two of them. Even though I had a bloody nose and blood all over my face, the Vice Principal and Principal both jumped my case. Several of the gathered students told the Administrators that the kid had hit me first and it was obvious I just reacted instinctively. The kid said he didn't really know what had happened with me, except that I did hit him, but he admitted that he had his arm cocked back to punch the other kid and had no intention of hitting me. I believed him and he said he believed what the witnesses said. Anyhow, I had to get a lawyer to get out of that one and the two who were fighting got the usual five day suspension, but there was no mention, even, of any penalty for striking me. Yes, I do not think that the kid meant to hit me, but, if he hadn't been in the fight in the first place, he wouldn't have struck anyone. Additionally, there was not even a MENTION of POSSIBLE sanctions on that student.

2. There was this kid in my Spanish class. He was no trouble to me. He was a straight C student, even to the point where if he got an 80 on one quiz, he got a 70 on the next one as if he were trying deliberately to keep things at an even 75. Still, he was no problem to me. He did his HW. He kept his mouth shut in class except when called on or reciting his lessons. He was prepared most of the time and had the correct answer 75% of the time I called on him. He was a straight C student. One morning, as I was walking up and down the rows listening to the students recite their lesson in unison, I noted a pistol in his belt. I walked calmly back down the other side of the row, threw him and his chair to the floor and took the thing from him. I got off him and told him that if he wanted to walk out of my classroom on two feet, he'd stay on the floor and keep his hands where I could see them. I sent a student to the office to notify them to summon the police. The police came (note that the Admins didn't come until the police had showed up), took the pistol from me, interviewed me and my students (who confirmed my account) and searched the kid and found a single shot in his sock.

The weapon was not meant for me. I suspect that it was meant for his Trig teacher, with whom this kid had a pile of trouble.

At any rate, they gave me so much BS for laying a hand on the kid. They were more concerned with my laying a hand on him than they were with his bringing a firearm to school. It was supposedly the policy of that jurisdiction that bringing a firearm to school bought you immediate expulsion, no questions asked. They didn't even suspend the kid. They did take him out of my Spanish class. I had to get a lawyer to get out of that one, too. The DA did prosecute the kid, at least, but the trial went down after I had left. The DA didn't ask me to testify.

That was it for me.

Until the politicians and admins make serious changes and do something about the criminal conduct of some of these kids, I will not go back to the classroom and wouldn't blame any other teacher who wouldn't,. either.

Being an Insurance Broker pays better and has better benefits, anyhow.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.