HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Who here is old enough to have experienced life without call phones and internet?
Posted by: Born in 64 ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:05AM

Remember how we would set out on a road trip with only a big folding map that we got at the Texaco station?

Remember hiking and camping in the woods with no way to call for help if you fell and broke a ankle?

Remember having to stand in line to use a payphone?

Remember using CB radios?

It was a much different world then. What else do you remember?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who here is old enough to have experienced life without call phones and internet?
Posted by: Joe Gatto ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:17AM

Full-service gas stations where they'd check your oil, wash your windows and were nice about it.

I-66 came in from the West but stopped at the beltway... U.S. Route 50 & 29 were the primary routes.

Ice skating on streams in January & February.

Tysons Corner was only one level.

Everybody goes to Gino's, cuz Gino's is the place to be.

Re: Who here is old enough to have experienced life without call phones and internet?
Posted by: STICKY PAGES ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:29AM

I rather use the maps
But I remember we had to stop gas stations tp get directions
I have 3 devices going in my work vehicle and they all got me going the wrong way

Having to get off the couch to change the channel on the TV, and working the antennas to get a better picture

Jacking off to smut magazines

Posted by: Johnny Quest ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:39AM

No Google or internet. Had to use an encyclopedia set for school research. World Book or Britannica.

Posted by: Gto Mustang ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:45AM

Having to go to Pep Boys or Trak Auto to buy the Chiltons guidebook to figure out what is wrong with your car.

Posted by: Louie Chevrolet ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:52AM

I remember when cars had crank windows, no a/c, and only AM radio

Posted by: Gto Mustang ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:58AM

Louie Chevrolet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I remember when cars had crank windows, no a/c,
> and only AM radio

My first car was a 64 Ford Galaxy. 6 banger with 3 on a tree no A/C no radio no power steering. But man it sure beat walking!

Posted by: .AARPer. ()
Date: January 05, 2024 08:59AM

The internet and rap music ruined this country.

Posted by: grounded1 ()
Date: January 05, 2024 09:34AM

As a boy scout I would go on three or four day hikes into the wilderness with nothing but a map and a compass to guide the way. Looking back it seems like we had big balls to do that but it did not seem like it at the time.

Posted by: Als ()
Date: January 05, 2024 09:44AM

I remember when there was less racism
And no one ever got peanut allergies

Posted by: Lodod ()
Date: January 05, 2024 09:51AM

You're cooler the larger your boom box!

Pet rocks and mood rings.

Posted by: Ghetto blaster ()
Date: January 05, 2024 09:57AM

Lodod Wrote:
> You're cooler the larger your boom box!
>
> Pet rocks and mood rings.

The ghetto blaster is making a come back, you watch!

Posted by: Gnb ()
Date: January 05, 2024 10:50AM

Als Wrote:
> I remember when there was less racism
> And no one ever got peanut allergies

Yeah those were the days. Niggers actually talked to white people instead of excluding them from everything they could.

Posted by: Marty1 ()
Date: January 05, 2024 10:59AM

Whe I was a kid I saw a black man get arrested for walking into the white barbershop in Manassas. The black barbershop was right next door. He was trying to stir up trouble.

Posted by: WEED LEECH ()
Date: January 05, 2024 12:35PM

I was born before people even had black and white TVs with tiny screens in huge wooden boxes

The only people who blazed the weed pinroll were known as "negro cool jazz players" not "blacks" which was a racial slur to call some one black or other indecent names every one else drank beer and booze wine was cheap and expensive then with WINOS in nests sucking on cheap wine jugs or " bitchy highbrow white liberals" who thought they were better then all others sucking down the expensive wines and cheese and whining just like today as the cheese slid off their cracker

I dont think the Zig Zag man was even born yet

I played Marine not collecting easy to get welfare checks from Democrats while searching for WEED and worse or something to steal or someone to rob or beat like today

Later Fun was going to exotic countries meeting exotic people and " loving them " them as Mr Clean who converted virgins tamed tigers hung up posters of Raquel Welch covered racing and other bets and practiced shithouse law in my original hooch and brewed beer and corn or rice liquor in secret places before men walked on the moon

Life was dangerous life was good without WEED

Now with poverty illegals taking up cheap housing for Americans lowering low income American peoples wages overcrowding jails hospitals and social services with WEED and crime plus attacks against rights while fake rights are pushed as rights life sucks rights are shaky life is more dangerous and Democrats suck for causing it all to become so bad

Posted by: I Remember Pay Phone Searches ()
Date: January 05, 2024 12:52PM

Driving around for 20 minutes looking for a pay phone booth that did not have a person inside talking forever about BS or to girlfriends or about scoring weed or taking sports bets as I gave up and drove on with my search for a phone no one was using with out people in line wanting to make calls about BS girlfriends scoring weed and making sports bets

Posted by: Spa Lady ()
Date: January 05, 2024 03:38PM

I Remember Pay Phone Searches Wrote:
> Driving around for 20 minutes looking for a pay
> phone booth that did not have a person inside
> talking forever about BS or to girlfriends or
> about scoring weed or taking sports bets as I gave
> up and drove on with my search for a phone no one
> was using with out people in line wanting to make
> calls about BS girlfriends scoring weed and making
> sports bets

Yeah, if you were really lucky you could find a payphone you could use while sitting in your car.

Posted by: remember this ()
Date: January 05, 2024 04:02PM

Born in 64 Wrote:
> Remember how we would set out on a road trip with
> only a big folding map that we got at the Texaco
> station?
>
> Remember hiking and camping in the woods with no
> way to call for help if you fell and broke a
> ankle?
>
> Remember having to stand in line to use a
> payphone?
>
> Remember using CB radios?
>
> It was a much different world then. What else do
> you remember?

I remember when abbreviations for states were multiple letters instead of just two, remember when there was no Zip Code, remember when a phone number was only 5 numbers, no area codes, 4 TV stations with a aluminum antenna on the roof. Rabbit ears on the giant TV set. Times changed fast.

Posted by: Flying A gas stations ()
Date: January 05, 2024 04:05PM

I remember going to a shoe store and there would be an Xray machine that you stood on to look at the bones in your feet. All the kids loved it.

Posted by: Wkee ()
Date: January 05, 2024 05:14PM

I miss Sizzlers

Jack in the box

Bradlees
Caldors

Posted by: good old days ()
Date: January 05, 2024 05:28PM

I remember playing around the tabacky fields while a helicopter sprayed the budding plants with a white poison, like snow it fell. called the stuff DDT/ Virginia democrats never cared for rural folk.

Posted by: I remember ()
Date: January 05, 2024 05:41PM

I remember “what’s happening” and “lost in space”

Posted by: WTTG Panorama ()
Date: January 06, 2024 09:29AM

Late 60s my parents had Belmont TV install an external antenna to our
chimney. Huge improvement over the rabbit ears on our 19” B&W GE TV.

Posted by: Danbury Forest kid ()
Date: January 06, 2024 09:38AM

Going to Kmart in Annandale where it always smelled like popcorn and they had those cheap amusement rides on the sidewalk out front.

Posted by: Sd ()
Date: January 06, 2024 09:57AM

One thing that hasn’t changed in 100 years, Johnny on the spot shutters

By now they should’ve had all kinds up upgrades

Posted by: Altered Altar boy ()
Date: January 06, 2024 10:41AM

I wish they had cell phones with cameras when I was an altar boy. I could have gathered some evidence against the priests that were butt raming me.

Posted by: Teem ()
Date: January 06, 2024 11:07AM

Simple-minded idiots ruin another thread.

Posted by: HE SAID NIGGER!!! ()
Date: January 06, 2024 12:07PM

Teem Wrote:
> Simple-minded idiots ruin another thread.

I miss when we had a government that was for its people and not forcing mass migration of desperate people to take advantage of them at the hands of tax payers

Our FBI just monitors the internet for posters saying Nigger..

That’s all our government is good for

Posted by: new sheriff ()
Date: January 06, 2024 12:38PM

I remember sitting in the Theater in Tysons watching Blazing Saddles and the white people and the Black people in the audience were laughing together. After the show a bunch of us went to Lums for beers and burgers. That will never happen again.

Posted by: Bob bitchin ()
Date: January 12, 2024 06:38AM

Ahhhh the good ole days

Posted by: Mee2. ()
Date: January 12, 2024 08:02AM

Wkee Wrote:
> I miss Sizzlers
>
> Jack in the box
>
> Bradlees
> Caldors

Village inn pizza

Mr Muggs

Howard Johnsons

Hot Shoppes

S&W diner

Posted by: Bailey's Xroads Airport ()
Date: January 12, 2024 09:16AM

Bailey's crossroads airport sat across from a drive-in theater, the eventual home of the Jefferson Theater and The House Where Louie Dwells: Louie's Rock City. After a night at Louie's, you'd go to Jack in the Box to munch out. Jefferson Hospital was right there in case Burritos and bong hits weren't working for you.

Airfields_VA_Fairfax_NE_htm_7ff13952.jpg

38643277831_4d6f222303_z.jpg

Posted by: old man. ()
Date: January 12, 2024 02:31PM

I remember when my school was white only.

Posted by: What about Meade ()
Date: January 12, 2024 05:55PM

Can you imagine what life was like before the music of Meade Skelton? We are fortunate enough to be living in the days of Meade.

Posted by: Streetcars ()
Date: January 12, 2024 06:00PM

Streetcars were all over big cities, but busses took over and made everything stank.

Posted by: long time ago ()
Date: January 12, 2024 06:54PM

Remember there would be only one fat kid in a classroom, and woe to that porker, unless he was a bully. Now you have about half and half, overweight and slim. President Council on Physical Fitness patches? Do they even have those anymore?

Posted by: ............. ()
Date: January 13, 2024 05:29AM

Altered Altar boy Wrote:
> I wish they had cell phones with cameras when I
> was an altar boy. I could have gathered some
> evidence against the priests that were butt raming
> me.

I got that too. Did you go to OLGC in Vienna? Lots of boys were abused there in the 70s.

Posted by: .Henerys towing ()
Date: February 08, 2024 06:11AM

Remember "The Underground" at Landmark shopping center?

Posted by: Emerson’s in Fairfax ()
Date: February 08, 2024 06:33AM

I got grogged at Emerson’s.

Posted by: broiled to perfection ()
Date: February 08, 2024 06:49AM

Tom Westons mushrooms stuffed with crab meat for the win.

Posted by: Tom Sarris' Orleans House ()
Date: February 08, 2024 07:17AM

That fat bitch took me there to me her Orange County parents in the newspaper business. I hared them and wasn't impressed with her. They had a parking LOT, in sight of the Key Bridge.
The food was awesome & the salad bar was huge.

Posted by: Fortuna ()
Date: February 08, 2024 07:24AM

Fortuna pizza in Kings Park shopping center. Wally, the manager would sell us just one draft beer each in a dark red plastic cup. He knew we were underage so we had a one beer limit. We thought we were cool drinking beer and having pizza at age 16.

Posted by: Need more Meade ()
Date: February 08, 2024 07:24AM

Just think, there are still people in this country who haven't discovered the joys of Meade Skelton music yet.

Posted by: one thing for certain;;; ()
Date: February 08, 2024 02:06PM

Need more Meade Wrote:
> Just think, there are still people in this country
> who haven't discovered the joys of Meade Skelton
> music yet.

And they are the envy of most of us who have heard his music.

How many people like Meade's music unironically?

two or three dozen?

Posted by: very old 1 ()
Date: June 15, 2024 06:23AM

I remember the Peoples drug lunch counter and they served white people only.

Posted by: Skdd ()
Date: June 15, 2024 06:33AM

I still think we need pay phones, twice in the last 7-9 months I locked myself out of the work vehicle, no phone, no keys, the first time it happened, I walked 2 miles in the pouring rain, back to the job/company, I wanted to walk the 2 miles cuz I thought it would teach me a lesson, but I just locked myself out of company vehicle again, no phone no keys

Posted by: combo nation ()
Date: June 15, 2024 07:10AM

Skdd Wrote:
> I still think we need pay phones, twice in the
> last 7-9 months I locked myself out of the work
> vehicle, no phone, no keys, the first time it
> happened, I walked 2 miles in the pouring rain,
> back to the job/company, I wanted to walk the 2
> miles cuz I thought it would teach me a lesson,
> but I just locked myself out of company vehicle
> again, no phone no keys

Always get a vehicle with a keypad lock.

These locks are only allowed on Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, Jaguar or Mazda vehicles as Ford owns the patent.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.