HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Off-Topic :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tube televisions last longer than flat screen televisions. Isnt technology supposed to be better now?
Posted by: PISSED OFF ()
Date: June 06, 2012 02:44PM

1296821928965_for_sale_040_resized.jpg

We purchased a television similar to this one 10 years ago and it still works.

samsung+flat+screen+tv.jpg

We purchased a television similar to this one 4 years ago and recently it just stopped working. It turns on but after a few minutes the picture fades and then the damn thing shuts off.

What the fuck?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tube televisions last longer than flat screen televisions. Isnt technology supposed to be better now?
Posted by: More Complete ()
Date: June 06, 2012 03:11PM

Disposible is the new built to last.

Re: Tube televisions last longer than flat screen televisions. Isnt technology supposed to be better now?
Posted by: BEH ()
Date: June 06, 2012 03:15PM

Technology has improved, and so has planned obsolescence.

Posted by: PISSED OFF ()
Date: June 06, 2012 03:17PM

BEH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Technology has improved, and so has planned
> obsolescence.

So they make sure it dies after a certain amount of time so I have to buy another one?

Posted by: TSki ()
Date: June 06, 2012 03:19PM

Henry Ford learned this many years ago. The Model T was so well built and reliable that people bought one and didn't need to buy another for 20 years.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 06, 2012 03:43PM

More Complete Wrote:
> Disposible is the new built to last.

+10. I had this discussion with a salesman when I bought a new dryer. Basically, anything can be built to last 20 years, but no one is willing to pay for it.

Case in point - my mom's attic fan is over 20 years old and runs fine. I just replaced mine that was 3 years old because it died. What the fuck. Made in cheap ass fucking China.

Posted by: bad luck ()
Date: June 06, 2012 03:59PM

PISSED OFF Wrote:
> BEH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Technology has improved, and so has planned
> > obsolescence.
>
> So they make sure it dies after a certain amount
> of time so I have to buy another one?

Its not planned was just bad luck.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 06, 2012 04:04PM

PISSED OFF Wrote:
> BEH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Technology has improved, and so has planned
> > obsolescence.
>
> So they make sure it dies after a certain amount
> of time so I have to buy another one?

I don't think they make sure it dies, but rather they know people will re-purchase a new device rather than pay to have it fixed (which often costs more than or the same as replacing it), so there's no incentive to build a better mousetrap.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: June 06, 2012 04:46PM

Yesterdays tube TVs can have as many or more problems as todays Flat screen TVs.
You probably just got a bad unit to start.

Plasma TVs use fluorescent lights that don't last forever, but it makes for a thinner TV. LCD Tvs heat up and also have fluorescent lights in them that can fade and die. Most LED TVs also have fluorescent lights, but they also use LED light around the edges so they don't get nearly as hot and will last longer.

I love my LED TV and would not trade it for a tube TV in any situation. I wanted the highest resolution I could get with 3D, the highest contrast ratio and 240hz refresh.
Now I just wish I had the 70-80" unit.

It might be some sort of energy saving setting in the menu of the TV. It may be something very simple to fix. Did you drop it or spill shit on it?

Posted by: Ancient History ()
Date: June 06, 2012 05:09PM

In the beginning...you would bring your TV tubes to the drugstore to test and replace them. The good old days.

Posted by: Lester ()
Date: June 06, 2012 05:33PM

Date: June 06, 2012 06:09PM

You probably need to replace the lamp.

As for old tube style TVs, I've had plenty of those go out over the years. As for flat screen TVs, four-year old technology is pretty old. Why build something to last 20 years when you can offer consumers something better, and cheaper, in three?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://bible.cc/1_corinthians/13-11.htm

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 06, 2012 08:42PM

Numbers Wrote:

> Plasma TVs use fluorescent lights that don't last
> forever, but it makes for a thinner TV.

Supposedly plasma TVs only lasts ten years before the picture is faded completely.

Blessed are the murderous.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 06, 2012 08:59PM

Another thing, my TV has lasted me a very long time.

-
Attachments:
1336946099836.jpg

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: June 06, 2012 09:24PM

I think televisions used to be a lot more expensive too. I bought a 20" TV back in 1994/5 and it still works. However, the picture is awful, but as good as it ever was.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.